Posted on 12-18-2012
The number of available APIs is growing at a neck breaking speed. I have trouble keeping up with individual APIs, and I feel I am losing touch with the nuances and trends within specific areas like music or travel.
I am getting more and more questions like this via email and twitter:
I am doing some research on music APIs. I am considering using one to integrate music streaming and relevant data into an app. Can you recommend anyone who has technical or business expertise (or both) with these in particular? I would love to speak with an expert to help lead me and my developers in the right direction. Some points I am considering:
- Technical capabilities (streaming speed, limitations of service, etc.)
- Access to support from API parent company
- Business opportunities or restrictions that arise when relying on the API
These are concerns that might be shared with other industries, but knowing the music industry--there are plenty of unique issues developers encounter when building applications and businesses around music APIs.
Back in February, I did write on how EMI is helping developers navigate building apps for the music industry, but beyond just shedding light on what others are doing, I don’t have the time to specialize in the details of how APIs are transforming the music industry.
There is a huge need for more professionals to step up within specific industries and develop the domain expertise necessary to make sure APIs are being deployed with the proper technical, business and political building blocks, and help developers understand how to navigate the nuances of a particular industry being transformed by web APIs.
Could you be this person, feel free to connect with me. I see a desperate need for experts in the music industry, education, health care, government and other fast moving business sectors.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work