Posted on 02-05-2013
This is a very interesting approach to externally developing features for another platform or service. I think Parse says it well:
Even the hottest new apps, however, aren’t perfect and that’s where clever innovators can fill in the gaps with a great idea. Parse-powered instaDM is one such innovation.
On one hand, this approach is a gamble. All Instagram has to do is copy what you've done, put it in the roadmap, and your done. Finished.
On the other hand, I think this is a very realistic way of pushing a platform forward, by external developers, using APIs. If an API provider is smart, when you have someone in your ecosystem roll out a valuable feature like this, you invest in their success.
Building features that augment web or mobile apps like this demonstrate that API ecosystems offer a lot potential for innovation, and I have to say it is even more interesting that this is being built on Parse--probably a whole other story in itself.
I don’t think every idea that comes out of Silicon Valley should be VC size. APIs allow more lots of smaller, more sustainable features to emerge, that don't need large scale investment. instaDM is an example of this potential.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet