Posted on 02-12-2013
The Backend as a Service (BaaS) space is picking up momentum in 2013. I’m tracking on 20 BaaS providers, in hopes of better understanding what is being offered in this space. Today I came across an interesting new, open source BaaS platform, being developed in the European Union called OPENi.
The project describes itself as:
OPENi is a European Union ICT Framework Programme (FP7) Information and communications technology (ICT) Collaborative project. Over the 30 month project duration we aim to deliver an open-source, cloud based platform for integrating mobile services.
With a mission to:
Our mission is to inspire innovation in the European mobile applications industry, by radically improving the interoperability of cloud-based services and trust in personal cloud storage through the development of a consumer-centric, open source mobile cloud applications platform.
With the following objective:
OPENi’s objective is to directly address the lack of interoperability between cloud based services and enable applications to access and use a broad spectrum of existing cloud based functionality and content, consistently across different devices and platforms, in a way that enables a user-centric application experience. Targeting the needs of Application Developers, Services Providers and Consumers, OPENi will realize its vision for user-centric, cloud-connected, mobile applications.
OPENi is a 30 month project, we will have to wait and see what comes out of the iniative. With the EU approach to open data and data privacy, I think there is a lot of potential to deploy and consume APIs, as well as delivering API automation, interoperability and backend platforms that have a healthy, consumer-centric approach--which I believe will be good for business, because its good for ender users.
In early 2013 the OPENi team will release software for the BaaS platform as an open-source project on github.com. When released I will evaluate it side by side with the other BaaS providers I”m tracking on.
If you are going to be at API Strategy & Practice next week, make sure and watch my Backend as a Service Panel with:
- Ilya Sukhar (@ilyasu) of Parse
- Morgan Bickle (@morganbickle) of Kinvey
- Marc Weil (@marcweil) of Cloudmine
- Miko Matasumura (@mikojava) of Kii
- Ty Amell (@tyamell) of StackMob
- James Tamplin (@jamestamplin) of Firebase
If you have any questions you’d like asked about the future of MBaaS, let me know. I'm going to make it a great conversation!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate