Posted on 02-25-2013
I see a lot of dead simple, yet meaningful uses of APIs come across my desk (I don’t have a desk, why do I keep saying this?) each day. One I saw today is something every school, whether K-12, college or university should have.
Using the UC Berkeley API, you can get a list of all departments:
_curl -v -X GET "https://apis-dev.berkeley.edu/cxf/asws/department?departmentCode=a&app_id=309fe68e&app_key=51b9d67dc4f0501eed763822a641b17b"_
Then with the proper department code you can pull a list of classes:
_curl -v -X GET "https://apis-dev.berkeley.edu/cxf/asws/classoffering?departmentCode=ARCH&app_id=your-id&app_key=your-key"_
With the proper keys, anyone can easily pull relevant UC Berkeley department and class data to use in website or app, or even populate a Google Spreadsheet for other purposes.
The UC Berkeley API Management Portal is brand new, I’m still working on separate story regarding their approach, but I wanted to talk about how good it is to see such straightforward, valuable uses of an API at a leading university.
This simple example is something you should be able to do by default at all schools across the country.
The best part is that the API team is actively communicating these uses of the API on Google+, which is how I came across the story.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Is Your API More Than Just A Footnote On Your Website?
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization