Posted on 03-18-2013
I would say the most common path to an API is from your company's database. This makes database to API connectors, tools and services a pretty valuable area of the API space. While there will always be high profile APIs dominating the tech blogosphere, most APIs will be launched quietly from small companies, by connecting them to various internal data sources.
During API Strategy & Practice, I met a new API service provider, called SlashDB, that focuses on just delivering APIs from your database. Once installed on any web server, SlashDB connects your internal databases and constructs a REST/HTTP web service, easily making database content accessible by URLs for getting, updating, inserting and deleting in a secure way.
SlashDB provides connectors for Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostGreSQL, IBM DB2 and Sybase--covering the top 5 databases you will find in the enterprise or small to medium businesses.
I notice that SlashDB also has Microsoft Excel connectors. I will have to investigate this further and do another story on API deployment from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. I know this will sound insane to the RESTafarians, but I think much of the worlds data is locked up in spreadsheets, on individual computers, throughout companies around the globe.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format