Posted on 03-19-2013
Last week Mozilla launched their new Open Badges platform, as an open standard to recognize and verify learning. I immediately started thinking about how it could be applied to APIs for incentivizing developer participation and success.
I’ve come across other badge programs, but Mozilla is the first open approach I’ve seen, providing free software and an open technical standard, that any organization can use to create, issue and verify digital badges.
So I was thinking, as an API owner, you could use Open Badges to structure a series of rewards for developers who reach important milestones integrating with your API, and engaging with your ecosystem.
Some examples badge-worthy milestones might be:
- Achieve X amount of API calls
- Published application to showcase
- Published open source code library
- Developed more than one application
- Revenue generated from application
- Supporting the forum and conversations
It would take a bit of planning to developer the right approach to badging for each API, as goals would be different for each provider. But, providing badges could provide an incentive for developers to work towards meaningful goals you have tied to important KPIs for your API strategy, While also providing an easy way to track your most knowledgable and potentially trusted developers.
If API providers start issuing sensible and consistent badges for API knowledge it would also provide additional ways to measure the size and overall health of the API developer community. I could envision badges that would serve specific business sectors or even around city, state and federal government APIs and civic efforts.
I will add Mozilla Open Badges to my list of API building blocks and explore other ideas about how an API provider can establish badge programs to incentivize and reward healthy API developer activity.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format