Posted on 03-19-2013
Last week Mozilla launched their new Open Badges platform, as an open standard to recognize and verify learning. I immediately started thinking about how it could be applied to APIs for incentivizing developer participation and success.
I’ve come across other badge programs, but Mozilla is the first open approach I’ve seen, providing free software and an open technical standard, that any organization can use to create, issue and verify digital badges.
So I was thinking, as an API owner, you could use Open Badges to structure a series of rewards for developers who reach important milestones integrating with your API, and engaging with your ecosystem.
Some examples badge-worthy milestones might be:
- Achieve X amount of API calls
- Published application to showcase
- Published open source code library
- Developed more than one application
- Revenue generated from application
- Supporting the forum and conversations
It would take a bit of planning to developer the right approach to badging for each API, as goals would be different for each provider. But, providing badges could provide an incentive for developers to work towards meaningful goals you have tied to important KPIs for your API strategy, While also providing an easy way to track your most knowledgable and potentially trusted developers.
If API providers start issuing sensible and consistent badges for API knowledge it would also provide additional ways to measure the size and overall health of the API developer community. I could envision badges that would serve specific business sectors or even around city, state and federal government APIs and civic efforts.
I will add Mozilla Open Badges to my list of API building blocks and explore other ideas about how an API provider can establish badge programs to incentivize and reward healthy API developer activity.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- What Are Some Good Examples of Hypermedia APIs?
- API Driven Backend For Apps Using Orchestrate.io
- The APIs I Depend On To Run API Evangelist
- Service Composition for My Screen Capture API
- Liberate Government Data By Deploying Web APIs With Solr
- Moving Beyond My Basic 3Scale API Infrastructure Plan
- Next Steps For My Screen Capture API
- The Levers, Dials, And Switches For Your Participation In The API Economy
- Help Improve This Content: Another Reason To Deploy API Developer Area on Github
- Exploring What Is Next For The Green Button API