Posted on 03-26-2013
A roadmap is an essential part of a healthy API ecosystem. The transparency and communication that come with providing a roadmap for your API and open data initiative will go a long way in building trust with your community.
The City of Philadelphia is sharing its roadmap of data sets that it intends to open in the coming months, by providing a release calendar using cloud project management service Trello. In addition to seeing the datasets the city intends to release, you can also see any data sets that have already been published.
According to the open data roadmap, Philadelphia is releasing data on street closures, energy consumption, evacuation routes, campaign finance, bike racks, budgets, expenditures and city employee salaries to name just a few.
This type of transparency doesn’t just build trust with citizens and developers, it provides an incentive for the city government to deliver high quality public data, in a meaningful and timely manner. There is still a lot of work to be done once this data is available, in order to develop quality analysis, visualizations, other APIs and tools that can be used in mobile and web applications. But what Philly is doing is a great start.
The City of Philadelphia’s approach to its open data roadmap is good to see. It is something all cities should have, as well as all API owners. Your roadmap will set expectations within your community, guide your own initiatives and provide a healthy blueprint for moving your efforts forward.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic