Posted on 04-28-2013
Have you taken a moment and looked at the APIs AT&T is offering through their developer program lately? I think it is an interesting spread of API resources for a leading telco to offer, and is very telling about their strategy.
This is one thing I like about my API monitoring platform, is that I'm forced to dive deeper into companies that are ubiquitous in the space, and make sure I'm kep in tune with where they are actually going.
I thought AT&T's API catalog was interesting in its current state:
|Advertising - Create a new revenue stream through the use of customized advertising. The Advertising API allows you to incorporate a simple, easy-to-use solution that supports revednue share-based monetization of your apps through the placement of paid advertising.|
|Call Management - Pick a virtual telephone number and add real time, cross-carrier voice, and SMS communications to your app.|
|Device Capabilities - Returns important information about a device—allowing you to customize your apps accordingly.|
|In-app Messaging - Drive further engagement with your customers by allowing them to share information with friends and family directly from within your app.|
|Location - Quickly and accurately pinpoint the location of an AT&T mobile device.|
|mHealth Platform - AT&T mHealth Solutions for healthcare combines mobility technologies, devices, connectivity, and apps to help minimize medical costs and deliver better patient outcomes.|
|MMS - Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) greatly enhances the power of your communications by moving beyond the text only capabilities of text based messaging.|
|Notary Management - Add the capability to digitally sign content or data payloads to your app.|
|Payment - Give your customers the convenience and security of having their in-app purchases charged directly to their AT&T bill.|
|SMS - Short Message Service (SMS) enables your application or service to reliably send and receive secure, targeted text messages and alerts to your AT&T mobility subscribers.|
Speech - Allow your customers to interact with your app using their voice. You send us audio. We send you text. It's that easy.
Now with the option to customize our speech recognizer for your app.
Plus, Text to Speech.
|AT&T U-verse - Enable your app with the U-verse TV experience and allow U-verse TV customers to "connect" their world to yours via this cutting edge IPTV service.|
WAP Push - Provide support to legacy device customers that have limited message content and formatting capabilities.
Some of the APIs they offer are pretty straightforward like MMS, SMS, Location and Speech. But the TV, Healthcare, Notary and even advertising seem like they are from a different planet. Which is a signal in itself I think.
AT&T pops up on my radar a lot because of their presence at hackathons, and coverage in the blogosphere. I'd like to make more time to dissect AT&T's approach to APIs from an outside perspective. I think there is a lot to learn from their strategy, both good and bad.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt