Posted on 05-28-2013
I'm adding some new BaaS features I found in a recent press release from BaaS provider AnyPresence titled, "AnyPresence Launches 4th-Generation Mobile Backend-as-a-Service Platform with Unparalleled Enterprise Capabilities", to my list of BaaS features. As I'm processing them I notice they are some pretty significant features:
- Application Cloning - For organizations looking to build multiple apps that have common core functionality with only minor variations, this powerful feature allows them to create a copy of an existing app along with all data source, object, and user interface definitions, saving significant development effort.
- Automated App UI Testing - Developers who use AnyPresence to generate a starter mobile app user interface (UI), now get the added benefit of functional test scripts for native iOS, native Android, and jQuery Mobile web apps. These test scripts can be run to ensure the app is interacting with backend functionality as expected, saving time in testing and improving reliability.
- Custom Server Extensions - While developers have always been able to add custom code to objects within AnyPresence, they can now create re-usable “Extensions” that can be shared across teams or lines of business. This also enables third parties to encapsulate their services as official AnyPresence Extensions, enabling a marketplace of add-ons that can be used across the AnyPresence customer base.
- Enterprise App Store Integration - AnyPresence now supports the ability to deploy apps to employees directly via enterprise app stores powered by Mobile Application Management (MAM) or Mobile Device Management (MDM) vendors. Apperian EASE is first MAM partner solution to be integrated directly with the AnyPresence Designer.
- Cloud Infrastructure Management - For the default cloud backend server deployment to Heroku, administrators can now control the performance characteristics of their app, and choose from hundreds of Heroku add-ons, directly from the AnyPresence Designer. This seamless integration enables developers to plan for the required capacity and usage of each individual backend server instance, and manage them from one central location.
It can be difficult to interpret each BaaS provider's products and services, and establish any sort of common definition, but applicaiton cloning, automated testing, custom server extensions and enterprise app stores are pretty straight-forward and powerful BaaS features.
I'm curious to see where AnyPresence goes with their custom extensions. I think whoever can do this part of BaaS correctly will win the BaaS world championships! (That is an award, right?)
Lot's of exciting stuff coming from the BaaS sector lately! Fun space to watch.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format