Posted on 06-24-2013
The news is finally out. I will be heading to Washington DC to spend a year as a White House Innovation Fellow. APIs, open data and our government has been a passion of mine for my whole career, something that has escalated over the last year with my work on the White House Digital Strategy and Open Data Policy.
Now my passion for APIs+Government is being taken to a whole new level, and I will be heading to Washington DC, to join 41 very talented individuals from the private sector, to tackle some of the biggest challenges in our federal government. I will be enjoying the full backing of the White House, to employ APIs to help stimulate innovation within government.
I will be specifically working on the Veterans Affiars
(VA) modernization team with two other very talented individuals, Mollie Ruskin (@mollieruskin) and Ben Willman (@benwillman). We will be working on various projects, with the overall goal of streamlining the VA claims process.
When I received the call from the VA, asking me to come to Washington and help, I could not say no. I'm pretty mission driven, when it comes to APIs, but helping out veterans and using APIs is the ultimate mission for me.
I have not one, but two dads who were Vietnam Veterans. Both are passed on now, but I have personal experience seeing the VA process in operation. I couldn't think of a more important mission for me to embark on, but to help streamline this process.
I will be keeping API Evangelist alive during my time in DC, but will not be taking on any new speaking engagements or projects. I will be dedicating myself 100% to my work at the VA. However I would do the agency a disservice if I did not maintain my awareness of the overall API space.
Thank you to everyone who assisted in making this possible, and I look forward to this next step in my career.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape