Posted on 08-02-2013
Some of the smart people in Washington D.C. have decided to roll their own API management solution, providing their own open source solution to many of the common problems faced by API providers like issuing API keys, rate limit and provide analytics.
API Umbrella provides some of the most common aspects of API management:
- API Keys
- Rate Limiting
The roadmap for API Umbrella is also interesting, looking to deliver:
- Self-service web admin
- Interactive documentation
- User management
- Granular permissions and rate limits
I'd love to see a blueprint established for the features available in API Umbrella, the current implementation for the gatekeeper is in Node.js and the web interface is in Ruby--it would be nice to have an open blueprint which would allow for others to contribute PHP, Python and other iterations of the same model. Providing a way for organizations to choose an option that fits with the resources they have available, while still providing interoperability.
It would also be great to see other city, county and state organizations adopt, deploy and evolve API Umbrella, providing a solution for other types of government organizations. I'm not intimate with the various needs of different types of government, but I'm sure there are some nuances that might make a difference.
As I ramp up my time working in DC this year I will spend more time getting intimate with API Umbrella, as well as other open data portal solutions like CKAN, and hopefully provide more resources on putting these solutions to use in the real world.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization
- Project Idea: Codenvy-Like Containerized Spreadsheets