Posted on 08-02-2013
Some of the smart people in Washington D.C. have decided to roll their own API management solution, providing their own open source solution to many of the common problems faced by API providers like issuing API keys, rate limit and provide analytics.
API Umbrella provides some of the most common aspects of API management:
- API Keys
- Rate Limiting
The roadmap for API Umbrella is also interesting, looking to deliver:
- Self-service web admin
- Interactive documentation
- User management
- Granular permissions and rate limits
I'd love to see a blueprint established for the features available in API Umbrella, the current implementation for the gatekeeper is in Node.js and the web interface is in Ruby--it would be nice to have an open blueprint which would allow for others to contribute PHP, Python and other iterations of the same model. Providing a way for organizations to choose an option that fits with the resources they have available, while still providing interoperability.
It would also be great to see other city, county and state organizations adopt, deploy and evolve API Umbrella, providing a solution for other types of government organizations. I'm not intimate with the various needs of different types of government, but I'm sure there are some nuances that might make a difference.
As I ramp up my time working in DC this year I will spend more time getting intimate with API Umbrella, as well as other open data portal solutions like CKAN, and hopefully provide more resources on putting these solutions to use in the real world.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?
- Expanding API Gateway Connectors Into A World of API Deployment Startups
- Where The Good IPAs Are In Chicago While At API Strategy And Practice In September
- The Blog For Your API Is The Most Important Signals You Can Send
- Public APIs Are Tough When You Are In A Tightly Controlled Industry
- Give Me A URL To Request Then Store My API Keys In My Private Github Repo
- Mapping The World Of Internal APIs Via Rogue API Registry
- Continuing With The API Restaurant Analogy