Posted on 08-13-2013
In this computer driven business world its easy to end up with a mess of documents across a company's network. No matter how much you try to organize, name and add metadata to documents, providing a quality search mechanism can be tough. Let alone one that you can use in web portals, web sites and even mobile and tablet applications.
One common way to to solve this problem historically has been using the Lucene Java Search Library, but in the age of web and mobile having an added API for integrating across all the place you will need search, is even better. One of the quickest ways to deploy a document search API is using Apache Solr which is built on top of the Lucene Java Search Library.
Apache Solr delivers a full-text search server that provides a REST-like API, where you put documents in it via XML, JSON or CSV, and then you can query it via API and receive XML, JSON, CSV results, which enables you to deliver a quick, cost effective, open source API driven search for your documents.
There are many types of APIs, from data to programmatic resources--when it comes to document search APIs for knowledge bases, catalogs and other document stores, Apache Solr is a solid option.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API