Posted on 08-27-2013
When it comes to API discovery, as an industry we haven't been able to find a satisfactory technological solution yet. While I often feel the right approach hasn't emerged yet, I think we are just overlooking "good enough" solutions, because we are waiting for the holy grail of API discovery.
I can't imagine that indexing, search and discovery of the myriad of web APIs out there is that much harder than indexing, search and discovery of the billions of HTML documents available online. Sure, when you are talking about programmatic interfaces, you need a little more precision, but I think us technologists are caught up our own beliefs that APIs should be perfect.
It would make sense that we adopt some evolution of the common sitemaps format, retrofit it to be JSON, accommodate open data catalogs, and allow for various API definitions in Swagger, I/O Docs or even API blueprint. Sure these formats won't have the precision of an evolution of the precious WSDL, or some actually agreed upon standard, but it will get us over the hump we are in.
ProgrammableWeb is 8 years old now, and in 2013, we still don't have any next step, let lone an actual usable solution for API discovery? I just have a hard time believing this is a technological problem, that it is more the stubbornness of the leaders in the space to just take any meaningful step towards API discovery, and lead.
There isn't going to be any money in API discovery, so this isn't something a single startup can emerge to solve. It is something we will all have to discuss and play with until we can find something will get us to the next step, together.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work