Posted on 09-05-2013
The Federal Trade Commission(FTC) just settled a case with web-enabled camera maker TRENDnet, signaling the government agency's first action against an Internet of Thing's company.
The FTC's complaint alleges that TRENDnet was labeling their cameras as secure, when in reality the camera had faulty software that left them open to online viewing and audio access to anyone who had the Internet address of the camera.
The FTC / TRENDnet case is the first, in what I predict is a future filled with security and privacy violations by Internet of Things products and companies. As we blindly race forward with the exciting Internet of Things, many companies will disregard the security of their hardware and software, just like TRENDnet did.
Hopefully as an industry we can help make sure this doesn't get out of hand, and don't require the federal government to police the situation. As technology providers, we need to make sure the software, hardware and APIs that drive the Internet of Things is properly secured, protecting our customers and the industry.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet