Posted on 09-05-2013
The Federal Trade Commission(FTC) just settled a case with web-enabled camera maker TRENDnet, signaling the government agency's first action against an Internet of Thing's company.
The FTC's complaint alleges that TRENDnet was labeling their cameras as secure, when in reality the camera had faulty software that left them open to online viewing and audio access to anyone who had the Internet address of the camera.
The FTC / TRENDnet case is the first, in what I predict is a future filled with security and privacy violations by Internet of Things products and companies. As we blindly race forward with the exciting Internet of Things, many companies will disregard the security of their hardware and software, just like TRENDnet did.
Hopefully as an industry we can help make sure this doesn't get out of hand, and don't require the federal government to police the situation. As technology providers, we need to make sure the software, hardware and APIs that drive the Internet of Things is properly secured, protecting our customers and the industry.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems