Posted on 09-25-2013
After spending some time looking and listening to peoples responses, there isn't much in the wild when it comes to writable government APIs, however it is clear that there is a huge demand for writable APIs, and a lot of opinion that this could be the thing that changes how government operates for the better.
The best examples that my followers pointed me to was with the Open 311 iniative:
There was another DoD API that allows users to POST information, and then only allows them to only update their own information, but wasn't exaclty the open write I was looking for.
Clay Johnson (@cjoh), the author of The Information Diet, has a great post on how writable APIs can help fix the government procurement process. Demonstrating one solid example of how government could be more efficient through the sensible use of APIs.
If you know of any examples of of the federal government using APIs and allowing the public to to submit data, content or forms through APIs, please let me know. It is something I will keep researching, writing about and advocating for.
Executing APIs as a two-way street is essential to successful API and open data strategies in both the public and private sector.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate