Posted on 11-20-2013
I created 11 very simple API designs for the launch of API Commons. We needed some API definitions to show the potential of the commons, so I wanted to design a handful of common API patterns to seed the launch.
For all 11 API designs I started with a Swagger definition, then using PHP and the Slim framework I quickly generated server side code for each API. I generate this code programmatically from the Swagger spec, but I also prefer going through the generated code and giving it a human touch.
This approach isn't just for these 11 API design templates, I'm using it for all my projects right now. I'm designing the API definition, generating and modifying the server side code, publishing Swagger UI documentation, then any client side code libraries I will need.
I'm publishing the API definition and Swagger UI, plus a project overview completely on Github. Currently I'm generating PHP / Slim framework driven code on AWS EC2 instance. I'm will expand this to include server side frameworks in Ruby, Python, Node.JS.
Next I will take each API definition + server-side code in PHP, Ruby, Python and Node.js and running on Amazon EC2 and port to run in AWS Cloud Formation and OpenShift from RedHat--providing an open API blueprint that others can deploy in the cloud.
This will be my basic process for any standard API design I'm evolving for API Commons, APIs I develop internally, as well any API that I design, develop and build for external projects. As with my stories and open data, I want any API I design to be open and reusable by anyone who is in need of the same API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic