Posted on 11-20-2013
I created 11 very simple API designs for the launch of API Commons. We needed some API definitions to show the potential of the commons, so I wanted to design a handful of common API patterns to seed the launch.
For all 11 API designs I started with a Swagger definition, then using PHP and the Slim framework I quickly generated server side code for each API. I generate this code programmatically from the Swagger spec, but I also prefer going through the generated code and giving it a human touch.
This approach isn't just for these 11 API design templates, I'm using it for all my projects right now. I'm designing the API definition, generating and modifying the server side code, publishing Swagger UI documentation, then any client side code libraries I will need.
I'm publishing the API definition and Swagger UI, plus a project overview completely on Github. Currently I'm generating PHP / Slim framework driven code on AWS EC2 instance. I'm will expand this to include server side frameworks in Ruby, Python, Node.JS.
Next I will take each API definition + server-side code in PHP, Ruby, Python and Node.js and running on Amazon EC2 and port to run in AWS Cloud Formation and OpenShift from RedHat--providing an open API blueprint that others can deploy in the cloud.
This will be my basic process for any standard API design I'm evolving for API Commons, APIs I develop internally, as well any API that I design, develop and build for external projects. As with my stories and open data, I want any API I design to be open and reusable by anyone who is in need of the same API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills
- Finding Good API Developer Talent Is Hard
- Common Building Blocks Of API Design
- APIs Coming Out Of The Netherlands