Posted on 11-20-2013
I created 11 very simple API designs for the launch of API Commons. We needed some API definitions to show the potential of the commons, so I wanted to design a handful of common API patterns to seed the launch.
For all 11 API designs I started with a Swagger definition, then using PHP and the Slim framework I quickly generated server side code for each API. I generate this code programmatically from the Swagger spec, but I also prefer going through the generated code and giving it a human touch.
This approach isn't just for these 11 API design templates, I'm using it for all my projects right now. I'm designing the API definition, generating and modifying the server side code, publishing Swagger UI documentation, then any client side code libraries I will need.
I'm publishing the API definition and Swagger UI, plus a project overview completely on Github. Currently I'm generating PHP / Slim framework driven code on AWS EC2 instance. I'm will expand this to include server side frameworks in Ruby, Python, Node.JS.
Next I will take each API definition + server-side code in PHP, Ruby, Python and Node.js and running on Amazon EC2 and port to run in AWS Cloud Formation and OpenShift from RedHat--providing an open API blueprint that others can deploy in the cloud.
This will be my basic process for any standard API design I'm evolving for API Commons, APIs I develop internally, as well any API that I design, develop and build for external projects. As with my stories and open data, I want any API I design to be open and reusable by anyone who is in need of the same API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape