Posted on 01-06-2014
I use screenshots across the API Evangelist network. I take screenshots of stories I curated, companies I track on and API developer areas I'm monitoring. Historically I've used a variety of screenshot APIs, to generate the 1000's of screenshots I need to make my network function.
This last week I was running through my network, and noticed the screenshot API had stopped working. It isn't a critical piece of infrastructure so I've used free services and don't really feel the need to monitor in real-time, I just respond when I stop seeing screenshots on the news listing page.
This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened, and when I started looking for a new screenshot API I noticed the majority of them now charge, and was in a range I just didn't feel I couldn't afford being a one man show. I knew in the back of my mind that I could develop my own screenshot API solution.
After test driving several image libraries I settled in with PhantomJS, which allows me to load and manipulate web pages in an object, and then take a screenshot of the web page in that state. I quickly wrapped in a web API using the Slim Framework in PHP.
Once I had the API deployed I wrapped with my 3Scale API management infrastructure, which requires an API key before you can use any of my APIs. Next I updated my company, API and news screenshot tool to use my new screenshot API.
After I get some free time I will clean up the code and publish via Github, so others can deploy their own screenshot API and take the same path I chose.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Making Sure The Most Important Layers Of API Space Stay Open
- A Common Place To Manage All The API Definitions In My World
- Swagger 2.0 For The Docker API
- On Being An API Broker For Hackathons
- Are You A Hypermedia Pragmatist?
- Do You Know That Hypermedia Is A Better Solution For Discovery Than APIs.json?
- API Service Idea: API Via Excel From Within Corporate Email
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke