Posted on 01-06-2014
I use screenshots across the API Evangelist network. I take screenshots of stories I curated, companies I track on and API developer areas I'm monitoring. Historically I've used a variety of screenshot APIs, to generate the 1000's of screenshots I need to make my network function.
This last week I was running through my network, and noticed the screenshot API had stopped working. It isn't a critical piece of infrastructure so I've used free services and don't really feel the need to monitor in real-time, I just respond when I stop seeing screenshots on the news listing page.
This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened, and when I started looking for a new screenshot API I noticed the majority of them now charge, and was in a range I just didn't feel I couldn't afford being a one man show. I knew in the back of my mind that I could develop my own screenshot API solution.
After test driving several image libraries I settled in with PhantomJS, which allows me to load and manipulate web pages in an object, and then take a screenshot of the web page in that state. I quickly wrapped in a web API using the Slim Framework in PHP.
Once I had the API deployed I wrapped with my 3Scale API management infrastructure, which requires an API key before you can use any of my APIs. Next I updated my company, API and news screenshot tool to use my new screenshot API.
After I get some free time I will clean up the code and publish via Github, so others can deploy their own screenshot API and take the same path I chose.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract