Posted on 01-11-2014
I had a friend ask me for help with their talk submission for #APIStrat in Amsterdam. He was concerned that his talk was too product pitchy, and wanted help making it something that not just would be accepted by our event, but something community would want to hear.
It is good to hear the concern, its true we want the best talks at #APIStrat, we don’t want to have a bunch of product pitches, we are seeking stories of API strategy and the practices from the trenches of API design, deployment and management.
Additionally, the audience doesn't want to hear it. I know many companies are focused on selling their products and services, but event audiences don't care. #APIStrat participants wants to hear about how you are solving the problems they face, using APIs.
Sure your product or service may solve their problems, but telling them this isn't good enough. You need intelligently articulate the problem and walk the the story of how the problem can be solved, in a compelling way. Sure your product or service may be woven in there, but it can't be the central actor in the story. You need to work extra hard to find a story that is meaningful to the #APIstrat audience, and provide details they can take home with them and apply in their own worlds.
We are still looking for more stories of API Strategy & Practice from the trenches. Our call for papers is only open for another week, so make sure and polish your story and get it submitted. I look forward to seeing you in Amsterdam.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet