Posted on 01-12-2014
During the recent federal government shutdown this last fall, the concept of API redundancy became much more important for me, and I hope for others as well. The need to ensure public open data and APIs, as well as private sector resources, stay available is becoming increasingly vital.
As I work through these thoughts I'm playing with different approaches to caching some types of APIs. In my experimentation, I'm using AWS CloudFormation and RedHat OpenShift to deploy caches of commonly used APIs resources.
Each type of API deployment is designed to sync with the mothership upon activation, and then receive regular updates of data via API + webhooks, with all updates to the code being done with Github.
In the future maybe we can make API addressing work somewhat like peer-to-peer file sharing, where I can receive multiple API endpoints for a common resource. Of course this wouldn't work for more unique APIs, but for commonly used APIs it could be a way to create redundancy and establish in fault tolerance in our applications.
At first I will be testing this out with data APIs like government facility locations by topic or state, then more complex API resources like website screenshots, or image manipulation APIs. If you have any specific type of API you'd like to see deployed in this way, let me know.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract