Posted on 01-12-2014
During the recent federal government shutdown this last fall, the concept of API redundancy became much more important for me, and I hope for others as well. The need to ensure public open data and APIs, as well as private sector resources, stay available is becoming increasingly vital.
As I work through these thoughts I'm playing with different approaches to caching some types of APIs. In my experimentation, I'm using AWS CloudFormation and RedHat OpenShift to deploy caches of commonly used APIs resources.
Each type of API deployment is designed to sync with the mothership upon activation, and then receive regular updates of data via API + webhooks, with all updates to the code being done with Github.
In the future maybe we can make API addressing work somewhat like peer-to-peer file sharing, where I can receive multiple API endpoints for a common resource. Of course this wouldn't work for more unique APIs, but for commonly used APIs it could be a way to create redundancy and establish in fault tolerance in our applications.
At first I will be testing this out with data APIs like government facility locations by topic or state, then more complex API resources like website screenshots, or image manipulation APIs. If you have any specific type of API you'd like to see deployed in this way, let me know.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work