Posted on 01-14-2014
Have you taken a look at the Thingiverse developer area lately? It’s been a while since I reviewed it. A couple years ago while working at Mimeo as an API evangelist I had the pleasure of doing some deep research into not just printing APIs, but 3D printing APIs as well. I wrote a lot on the subject, but overall I was unhappy with what was available in the areas of 3D printing APIs.
When you go to the Thingiverse API now, the landing page immediately tells you what is possible, gives you direct links to API documention, but also provides you what you need to get started, sign up and explore the Thingiverse API—a flow that is so very important!
When you look at the API docs, you immediately see that the API is a simple web API allowing you to manage users, things, their files and copies, while being able to tag, build collections as well as look for the newest, popular and featured things. The Thingiverse API interface is simple, well designed and actually allows you to access some seriously valuable 3D printing resources.
Thingiverse also delivers other critical resources, providing FAQs, application gallery, hackathon and challenge calendar, and a terms of service that provides a plain english translation for developers. All essential resources to supporting and growing your API ecosystem.
I’m impressed with the Thingiverse API, not just because it delivers what I envision a 3D printing API should look like, but it is a well-designed, simple implementation of what any API program should look like as well.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet