Posted on 01-20-2014
Right now when it comes to API discovery you have the OG ProgrammableWeb, and newcomers Mashape and APIHub (which also owns ProgrammableWeb). All three of these sites provide you with a large directory of APIs you can search and browse at, when looking for APIs.
I pull new APIs from all these sources, in hopes of staying in tune with what is out there. However, I have a different approach to my API database of APIs. I only keep track of the best APIs I see. I'm not concerned with every API available, I’m interested in the best approaches to APIs.
I’m hoping in 2014 that we'll see more niche API hubs emerge, that specialize in specific areas like government, finance, photos, video and other specific areas that developers would be specifically interested in--allowing domain experts to step in and help guide us.
When looking at the big picture it can be hard to see the gaps and opportunities. If you specialize in a particular area, you really get to know what resources people are offering, how they are serving these resources up, and potentially what is missing fro the consumer perspective.
This doesn't have to be exclusive from the existing efforts, Mashape and APIHub could provide more curation tools for domain experts to use in organizing, deploying and management of these hubs.
Just a thought...
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems