Posted on 01-20-2014
Right now when it comes to API discovery you have the OG ProgrammableWeb, and newcomers Mashape and APIHub (which also owns ProgrammableWeb). All three of these sites provide you with a large directory of APIs you can search and browse at, when looking for APIs.
I pull new APIs from all these sources, in hopes of staying in tune with what is out there. However, I have a different approach to my API database of APIs. I only keep track of the best APIs I see. I'm not concerned with every API available, I’m interested in the best approaches to APIs.
I’m hoping in 2014 that we'll see more niche API hubs emerge, that specialize in specific areas like government, finance, photos, video and other specific areas that developers would be specifically interested in--allowing domain experts to step in and help guide us.
When looking at the big picture it can be hard to see the gaps and opportunities. If you specialize in a particular area, you really get to know what resources people are offering, how they are serving these resources up, and potentially what is missing fro the consumer perspective.
This doesn't have to be exclusive from the existing efforts, Mashape and APIHub could provide more curation tools for domain experts to use in organizing, deploying and management of these hubs.
Just a thought...
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet