Posted on 01-20-2014
Right now when it comes to API discovery you have the OG ProgrammableWeb, and newcomers Mashape and APIHub (which also owns ProgrammableWeb). All three of these sites provide you with a large directory of APIs you can search and browse at, when looking for APIs.
I pull new APIs from all these sources, in hopes of staying in tune with what is out there. However, I have a different approach to my API database of APIs. I only keep track of the best APIs I see. I'm not concerned with every API available, I’m interested in the best approaches to APIs.
I’m hoping in 2014 that we'll see more niche API hubs emerge, that specialize in specific areas like government, finance, photos, video and other specific areas that developers would be specifically interested in--allowing domain experts to step in and help guide us.
When looking at the big picture it can be hard to see the gaps and opportunities. If you specialize in a particular area, you really get to know what resources people are offering, how they are serving these resources up, and potentially what is missing fro the consumer perspective.
This doesn't have to be exclusive from the existing efforts, Mashape and APIHub could provide more curation tools for domain experts to use in organizing, deploying and management of these hubs.
Just a thought...
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18F's, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract