Posted on 01-25-2014
One of the areas I track on is what I call the API reciprocity space, which is all about interoperability between platforms, but I label it reciprocity as an attempt to capture that it isn’t just about old school Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) of the old days—today it is about ETL in the cloud, plus adhering to the intent of not just platforms, but the users interest as well.
When thinking of API reciprocity, think If This Then That (IFTTT), Zapier and Temboo. I’ve been watching Temboo evolve with their API driven, platform to platform solutions, but I’m really interested in there latest moves to support web platforms to the Internet of Things using the Arduino platform, specifically using the Arduino Yún micro controller board.
Temboo has been working hard recently to connect the Arduino Yún to over 100 web-based resources and services like Facebook, Twitter and Dropbox. The Arduino Yún gives you connectivity to lights, motion, sound, temperature and other sensor based devices, and Temboo provides the connectivity between these sensors to the numerous API driven resources in the cloud.
Taking it to the next level, Temboo has released Sketch Builder, an application that allows anyone to design interactions between Arduino Yún and Temboo enabled cloud services. This opens up this type of Internet of Things to web service interaction design, development and deployment to anyone, not just developers.
APIs are moving forward at a very rapid pace, and as we move from the mobile era of APIs into the Internet of Things phase of APIs, the pace is going to quicken. APIs aren't just about social, cloud and mobile anymore—innovators like Temboo at bridging all of the APIs driven platforms we depend on, to our physical world via sensors.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet