Posted on 01-25-2014
One of the areas I track on is what I call the API reciprocity space, which is all about interoperability between platforms, but I label it reciprocity as an attempt to capture that it isn’t just about old school Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) of the old days—today it is about ETL in the cloud, plus adhering to the intent of not just platforms, but the users interest as well.
When thinking of API reciprocity, think If This Then That (IFTTT), Zapier and Temboo. I’ve been watching Temboo evolve with their API driven, platform to platform solutions, but I’m really interested in there latest moves to support web platforms to the Internet of Things using the Arduino platform, specifically using the Arduino Yún micro controller board.
Temboo has been working hard recently to connect the Arduino Yún to over 100 web-based resources and services like Facebook, Twitter and Dropbox. The Arduino Yún gives you connectivity to lights, motion, sound, temperature and other sensor based devices, and Temboo provides the connectivity between these sensors to the numerous API driven resources in the cloud.
Taking it to the next level, Temboo has released Sketch Builder, an application that allows anyone to design interactions between Arduino Yún and Temboo enabled cloud services. This opens up this type of Internet of Things to web service interaction design, development and deployment to anyone, not just developers.
APIs are moving forward at a very rapid pace, and as we move from the mobile era of APIs into the Internet of Things phase of APIs, the pace is going to quicken. APIs aren't just about social, cloud and mobile anymore—innovators like Temboo at bridging all of the APIs driven platforms we depend on, to our physical world via sensors.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18F's, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract