Posted on 01-25-2014
One of the areas I track on is what I call the API reciprocity space, which is all about interoperability between platforms, but I label it reciprocity as an attempt to capture that it isn’t just about old school Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) of the old days—today it is about ETL in the cloud, plus adhering to the intent of not just platforms, but the users interest as well.
When thinking of API reciprocity, think If This Then That (IFTTT), Zapier and Temboo. I’ve been watching Temboo evolve with their API driven, platform to platform solutions, but I’m really interested in there latest moves to support web platforms to the Internet of Things using the Arduino platform, specifically using the Arduino Yún micro controller board.
Temboo has been working hard recently to connect the Arduino Yún to over 100 web-based resources and services like Facebook, Twitter and Dropbox. The Arduino Yún gives you connectivity to lights, motion, sound, temperature and other sensor based devices, and Temboo provides the connectivity between these sensors to the numerous API driven resources in the cloud.
Taking it to the next level, Temboo has released Sketch Builder, an application that allows anyone to design interactions between Arduino Yún and Temboo enabled cloud services. This opens up this type of Internet of Things to web service interaction design, development and deployment to anyone, not just developers.
APIs are moving forward at a very rapid pace, and as we move from the mobile era of APIs into the Internet of Things phase of APIs, the pace is going to quicken. APIs aren't just about social, cloud and mobile anymore—innovators like Temboo at bridging all of the APIs driven platforms we depend on, to our physical world via sensors.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Swagger Visualization Layer Using D3.js
- Establishing Common Dictionaries That Industries Can Use In Their API Design
- Top 5 Most Popular Themes On API Evangelist In 2014
- Query Parameter Determining Which Fields Are Queried For API Call
- Now Our Development Environment Is Now Containerized And Scalable Like Our Production Environment
- Guest Post: Let Our Sponsors Blow A Little Smoke Up Your Ass
- API Discovery Continues Its Move Into The IDE With Eclipse Che
- Evolving Beyond Just Resources Towards A More Experience Based API Design
- Another View of The API vs. Data Download Model
- If You Have A Publicly Available Mobile App You Have a Public API