Posted on 02-05-2014
I wrote about the interesting approach by Plivo the other day around their Voice Chat API, in which one thing they did really caught my eye, and reflects what I think is the future of APIs—the deployment of the API to Heroku.
This type of very modular, cloud deployment of fine grain APIs is something that I’ve blogged about recently in Modular APIs Driven From Github Blueprints Using OpenShift, Server Side API Templates On AWS Cloud Formation And OpenShift, and Caching APIs With CloudFormations Or OpenShift.
As part of the Voice Chat API, Plivo allows you to deploy an instance of the open source audio conference API to your own Heroku account. This is an interesting way to empower developers to deploy API resources, allowing them to allocate them within their preferred cloud environment, whether it is Heroku, Amazon, OpenShift from Redhat, or any other provider.
I haven’t investigated if there are any dependencies between the Voice Chat API and Plivo, but even with dependencies, this approach still holds a lot of promise. This gets us closer to some of my earlier thoughts around virtual API stacks, that allow us to build, manage and put to use the most meaningful stack of APIs possible for our applications—think backend as a service (BaaS), but custom fit to exactly the resources we need.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet