Posted on 02-06-2014
In 2010 I made a deal with my girlfriend Audrey Watters (@audreywatters), I’d run the server infrastructure behind her blog Hack Education, and she’d help me polish my storytelling on API Evangelist. Audrey studied folklore and storytelling as part of her masters degree, and I saw that the API space was desperately in need of some meaningful storytelling to help the fast growing space find its future—a perfect partnership!
The API space is full of conversations (and arguments) about the technological building blocks of the space, and saturated with pitches for the products and services across the industry, but the sector is often deficient in stories that help newbies understand APIs, and veterans grasp the big picture of where we are going. For us to understand the space as it grows, make sense of technologies like hypermedia, and evolve approaches for communicating around APIs using definitions like API Blueprint, RAML and Swagger, we need stories—not press releases, not product pitches, we need stories that we can share and retell.
Every once in a while you see great stories from the occasional technologist or passionate evangelist stand out from the noise, but lately I’m seeing more API leaders step up and deliberately craft meaningful stories that help us better understand the API universe. This week I’ve seen two great stories emerge with Why REST is More Like Religion than Most Technologies, from Mike Schinkel (@mikeschinkel), and Dark Matter in the API Universe by Jason Harmon (@jharmn).
These stories aren’t selling you on a specific technology or product, they are helping us understand the big picture, and tell us stories that help us understand a very complex space, which spans almost every business sector. These stories are critical to helping us all make sense of the API industry, and whether we acknowledge it or not, help lead us in a better direction, and even allow us to even laugh at ourselves from time to time.
Thank you to the API storytellers!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet