API Evangelism Strategy: Goals24 Feb 2014
I’m working with the Cashtie API to pull together API evangelism strategy for the payments API. As I pull together it seems like a great opportunity to share with you. Who knows, maybe you can use some of the elements in your own API strategy.
First up, is goals. What are the goals of your API initiative?
- Increase Awareness of API Program - The number one priority for any API, increase awareness that you even exist!
- Growth in New Users - Everyone wants new registrations for the API--it s a great goal, but don’t get too caught up in just acquiring new users.
- Growth in Existing User API Usage - How do we encourage existing users to consume more, be more successful in using API resources.
- Brand Awareness - Elevate the awareness of not just an API but the overall company brand(s), establishing life long customers.
These are just a few initial goals every company should consider when crafting an API evangelism campaign, but don’t stop there, what are some other goals?
- New Customers For Other Products - Do you have other products and services you’d like your API end-users to be aware of?
- Value Add For Existing Customers - Maybe you have an existing customer base you want to encourage development of products, services and features that add value to their existing engagement.
- Revenue - Money, of course, we all need to make money. How do we leverage API resources into new sources of revenue for our company?
Having short term, and long term goals is essential to any API evangelism strategy. What are our long term goals? What goals do we have this week? How do they change over time? Documenting our goals is critical, so we can deliver on them, but also understand how we need to shift our goals to be more successful over time.
Do you have goals for your API program that aren't listed here? Share them with me on Twitter @kinlane with hashtag #apigoals.