Posted on 03-10-2014
I am spending time getting to know the APIs coming out of the Netherlands, as we prepare for API Strategy & Practice in Amsterdam March 26-28th, and one API I was checking out is from the Portfolio platform Viewbook.
Viewbook provides an API for users to add and manage their photos, building very attractive portfolios for photographers. What I thought was pretty cool when I was going through their API, was their re-use of the Flickr API design, rather than re-inventing their own.
Viewbook is a great argument why we need API Commons, and a central, sensibly licensed place to find leading API patterns that providers can put to use. There are a lot of benefits for Viewbook to use the same design as Flickr, allowing developers to reuse code and other resources available as part of the Flickr API ecosystem--as well as just developer familiarity with the interface.
When it comes to many types of APIs, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, and making use of the best API patterns already available just makes sense. Help me convince API providers to contribute their API designs to the commons, to help startups like Viewbook save time, and be successful in delivering their tools and services that make users lives easier--something that will only make all of our API communities stronger.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems