Posted on 04-07-2014
I was just having another conversation about virtualized cloud containers like Docker.io, and the approaches from leading cloud providers like Amazon with Cloud Formations, and RedHat with OpenShift. This is a subject that seems to be coming up more and more, and is definitely something you’ll see more of on API Evangelist, as well as being discussed at future API Strategy & Practice and API Days.
@kinlane containers will do for APIs what APIs do for companies.— John Sheehan (@johnsheehan) March 13, 2014
Virtual containers will make API driven resources even more agile, nimble and scalable--not just for providers, but also for consumers. Everything we have right now I’d consider to be a retail API market—where even though APIs are sold b2b, they are generally a one-size fits all API solution. Think about when API resources become modular, customizable, scalable, wholesale resources that can be bought and sold, and deployed anywhere, making all digital assets into commodities that are ready for use in the API economy.
In preparation for some research on the subject, I pulled together my stories on this subject from the last couple months:
- The Power Of Designing And Deploying API Driven Resources In Containers
- Virtual Containers, Stacks, APIs And Application Management
- Server Side API Templates On AWS Cloud Formation And OpenShift
- Modular APIs Driven From Github Blueprints Using OpenShift
- Deploy Instances Of APIs At Heroku Or PaaS Of Your Choice
- Github As The Central Presence, Definition, Configuration, And Source Code For Your API
- A Wholesale On-Premise Version Of My API For Sale
Hopefully I can organize some of my thoughts, review some of the more innovative implementations I’m seeing out there, and shed even more light on how virtual containers are being used to deploy the next generation of APIs. If you are doing something cool in this space, please let me know.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Reworking My API 101 Content: Consuming APIs
- I Need Help To Make Sure The Dept. of Agriculture Leads With APIs In Their Parks and Recreation RFP
- What Is The Biggest Challenge For Fraud Detection API SiftScience?
- Reworking My API 101 Content: Providing APIs
- What I Spent Ada Lovelace Day Working On
- An Outside-In Approach To Jumpstarting An API Effort At The University of Oklahoma
- Exposing Dictionaries From My API Collections
- Launching 25 APIs To Assemble A Single Poem For Each Day
- Exploring The Possibilities of Being An API Broker
- The Publicly Available Private Target APIs