Posted on 04-10-2014
I just published a post showcasing Socrata's use of Github to deploy their new open data and API developer portal. There are numerous reasons for using Github as part of your API management strategy, with one of the main reasons being the collaborative features that Git, and the social coding platform Github introduce.
I've had the news about Socrata’s new developer portal open for over a day now, and what triggered that story was seeing a link to the regulations API on data.gov, which not only just uses Swagger for the API definition, it employs a simple portal that is deployed using Github pages.
Deploying API developer areas on Github, using Github pages is nothing new, we've been doing it a while now. However there is a groundswell within federal government recently, so I think its worth noting—hoping other open data and API folks in government jump in too!
I like the basic layout of the regulations API portal. It is a simple overview, changelog, terms of service and interactive API documentation using Swagger. Then demonstrating one of the biggest benefits of deploying your developer portal on Github, it simply says: “Help Improve This Content”, directing users to edit, fork and submit a pull requests on the portal’s Github repository—enabling anyone to improve the portal content, with the approval of the API administrator of course.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape