Posted on 04-14-2014
I reviewed the deployment the FBOpen API the other day, which is a simple API resource of business opportunities with the U.S. Federal Government. An interesting aspect of the FBOpen implementation was that 18F used Solr to deploy the API layer.
Solr is an open source search tool developed by the Apache Software Foundation, which can take any document store and easily generate a simple, yet pretty powerful web API—opening up access to content, without costly infrastructure. I showcased how the Free Law Project launched the Court Opinion API, using Solr, opening up access to archives of legal documents from across the country.
18F took XML dumps of business opportunities from FBO.gov, then deployed Apache Solr as the API layer. You can download or fork 18F’s FBOpen API, and deploy the API in your own infrastructure. This provides a pretty interesting blueprint for how government can easily open up data, then launch an API for developers to build on top of.
Along with other healthy patterns for API design, deployment, management and evangelism I find out in the API space, I think what 18F has done with the FBOpen API, needs highlighting. I think government data plus web API using Solr is a recipe I’d like to see used across all government projects.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet