Posted on 04-17-2014
I am evolving my own approach to deploying my API resources, and I needed an important sounding name for it, so came up with “operational harness” over a couple pints of IPAs. Ok, so what do I mean when I say operational harness?
Based upon the way that I evolve my stories, I evolve my API projects in real-time with the help of Github. For my screen capture API I will be focusing on delivering four separate architectural pieces:
- Open Source Version - An open source, server implementation of my screen capture API, which will PHP initially with other languages next.
- API Service - A publicly accessible, cloud version of the screen capture API, allowing users to a certain amount of calls in a specific time frame before they are charged a per call rate, depending on their service their.
- API Containers - OpenShift and AWS CloudFormation version of the screen capture API for rapid deployment in cloud environment.
- Wholesale Service - A wholesale version of the screen capture that a partner can pay me to deploy and / or manage in mine or theirs cloud environment.
I call this my operational harness because I will be operating live instances of these components, scaling as I need in the cloud, but will also be maintaining the open source version, and container versions on Github, while also supporting wholesale deployment. My definition will act as a sort of harness holding together all the architectural pieces of the screenshot API, but also in sync with other utility APIs I will be deploying--helping guide me as I push it all forward.
I’m enjoying putting together my strategy around my own API platform. It gives me some good material to work through for stories here on the blog, and helps me push forward with new approaches to API deployment, like deploying and scaling in virtual containers, and providing wholesale access to resources.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions