Posted on 06-05-2014
I am playing around with deploying APIs using multiple cloud platforms, and using popular container solutions. Next up is quickly deploying one of my utility APIs, to Heroku, complete with access control, traffic reports, and supporting analytics with 3Scale infrastructure.
Application - Simple Screen Capture API
I’ve been working through an operational harness for deploying all my APIs, and the API I use to push forward my approach to API deployment, is a screen capture API. This is what I will be deploying on Heroku, creating a simple application, that will take screen captures of web pages that I pass to it.
3Scale Heroku Add-On
To make API deployment on Heroku easier, 3Scale has created a Heroku add-on that you can easily deploy for any application you have running on the PaaS platform. With just a single click I added the 3Scale Heroku add-on to my screen capture API--now I can apply 3Scale API infrastructure to my API.
API Access Control
Using 3Scale I can control who has access to my screen capture API, by setting rate limits and quotas, and if I want I can even charge for access. I can compose any type of service levels for my API that I want. I will create tiers for internal access, external partners, and a public tier where I charge a fee for each API call.
API Traffic Report and Analytics
With all of my screen capture API traffic managed with 3Scale, I can now see traffic analytics and reports, broken down any account, application or for specific service. Any developer who signs up for my screen capture API, will get access to the reports for their account usage as well.
Ready-To-Go Developer Portal
One of the benefits of using 3Scale for deploying your API on Heroku, is that you get a developer portal to go with your APIs. This is where developers will to learn about your API, register for API keys, and view reports on their usage.
Free To Get Started
One of the main reasons I use 3Scale to mange my APIs, is that even though I’m on the paid tier now, 3Scale allows me to fire up new APIs, manage access and receive reports at no charge. I don’t pay until my APIs start generating traffic, and if my business model is sound, I should be covered. You get up to 250 user accounts with a traffic volume 150,000 API calls per day before you have to move up to the next tier.
Multi-lingual APIs In Cloud
3Scale provides instructions for deploying APIs using Ruby, Node.js, and Java, allowing you to the language you prefer for API deployment.
Drive API Code From Github
I will be driving the development of the code for my screen capture API using Github. Heroku allows me connect my application to a specific Github repository, allowing me to manage all my API deployment centrally using Github.
I already have a PHP version of my screen capture API, that uses the Slim REST framework, which wraps around PhantomJS, which does the actual screen capture. Now I can take my standard utility grade, screen capture API and easily deploy on Heroku, for my own internal use, for a partner, or to any wholesale customer who would like to deploy a screen capture API in their own Heroku account.
Next I’m going to look at various ways to deploy the same screen capture API using Amazon Web Services (AWS). There are several options for deploying APIs on AWS, and hopefully I can find the easiest, lowest cost way to get an API deployed, by playing with several approaches.
Disclosure: 3Scale is an API Evangelist partner.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems