Posted on 06-16-2014
One interesting theme I heard at API Days San Francisco last week, was the concept of API reciprocity, or If This Then That(IFTTT) moving into more niche areas. This edition of API Days was focused on "Disrupting the Car Industry and Driver Experience with APIs”, and I heard several times, people saying, “Its If This Then That for cars”.
After If This Then That put an iconographic face on the classic practice of Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL), and focused on not traditional database and IT system, but API driven software as a service (SaaS), I saw over 30 other providers follow in their footsteps. It is my mission to understand how these companies are evolving the ETL world, and write about it across the API Evangelist network.
In 2014, I think the concept has reached a maturity point, where reciprocity and interoperability between API driven platforms is being applied to niche areas. With the popularity of IFTTT and Zapier, in helping tech savvy users understand how they can take control over how data and content flow in our increasingly digital worlds, it makes total sense that startups would look to apply this successful pattern to niche areas like the automobile experience.
While Zapier, IFTTT and many other reciprocity providers are providing general purpose recipes for keeping your online world in sync, there is a growing number of focused providers, like SortMyInbox for email, Puppet Labs for cloud computing, and RoadRules.io which was present at API Days in San Francisco.
I think this new breed of API focused ETL startups, delivering niche recipes of automation, interoperability and reciprocity in our digital worlds, will continue to expand. You will hear more startup pitches, where the founder says, “Its like If This Then That for X”.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format
- How Are Mobile Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Dave Devitt At SYDCON
- An API Case Study Format From Google Cloud Platform
- Next Stable Version of APIs.json + APIs.io Is Ready - Are Your APIs Discoverable?
- Expanding API Gateway Connectors Into A World of API Deployment Startups
- Where The Good IPAs Are In Chicago While At API Strategy And Practice In September
- The Blog For Your API Is The Most Important Signals You Can Send
- Public APIs Are Tough When You Are In A Tightly Controlled Industry
- Give Me A URL To Request Then Store My API Keys In My Private Github Repo
- Mapping The World Of Internal APIs Via Rogue API Registry
- Continuing With The API Restaurant Analogy