Posted on 06-18-2014
APITools, the cloud-based API integration services is raising the bar for the space by introducing an open source, on-premise version of their API monitoring service. APITools only launched this year, and because of consumer demands, they moved up the timeframe for open sourcing the platform, which was already on the roadmap.
I’d say after API design, API integration services and tooling, for testing, monitoring, and transforming API calls is one of the fastest growing segments of the API space. We are seeing solid solutions from SmartBear, Runscope, TheRightAPI, Nomos Software, and from API pioneer John Musser, with API Science, but APITools is definitely raising the stakes with open sourcing theirs offering.
The world of API integration service and tooling is rapidly expanding, and only time will tell whether developers prefer running in the cloud, or on-premise, and what features they are looking for, something I've been documenting as I study what each of the companies offer.
I suspect, that along with other API design, deployment, and management tools we'll need a mix of freemium, open tiers, on-premise, and enterprise API integration services and tooling, to meet the demands of this fast growing segment that overlaps with both providing and consuming APIs.
Disclosure: APITools is a 3Scale service, and 3Scale is an API Evangelist partner.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Is Your API More Than Just A Footnote On Your Website?
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization