Posted on 06-30-2014
I’m working the great feedback we've had on APIs.json, an adding everything to the Github issues for consideration in the next version. Today I’m spending a little time thinking through the big picture of APIs.json, and some of the building blocks I'd like to see reflected when API providers generate their APIs.json.
Each API listed in an APIs.json has what we are calling: "Properties Elements”. The properties element is a collection, with two values: type and url. While we provide you with a base set of property element types you can reference:
Our goal is to continue providing, “reserved” types that we recognize, while also leaving properties elements, being as organic as possible—meaning you can define your own references, and tell the story of why these are important building blocks in your own API strategy. We will continue adding the best properties we see being used, to the APIs.json spec.
To prepare for the next version of APIs.json, I want to have the next list of reserved property types. Working from my list of API management building blocks I’ve identified X I’d like to see in the next version:
These are the building blocks I think are important to API operations. Currently all of these will be links to human readable pages, within an APIs developer portal, but eventually I envision all of these potentially being machine readable.
I know, this is a big vision, but I intend to make it a reality. The first machine readable element on this list is the InterfaceLicense, which will reference the machine readable JSON manifest for API Commons.
Next on the list is TermsOfService, which I will be using Terms of Service Didn’t Read’s machine readable format, and applying it to the world of APIs. If there are any types you’d like to see in the next version of APIs.json, head over to the Github issue I created for this discussion, and make sure it is on the list.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet
- Publishing Your APIs To Product Hunt
- Providing Users With Reciprocity Tools So Important Intuit Purchases itDuzzit
- Bing Developer Assistant for Visual Studio Delivers Relevant API Code
- Average Number of APIs Used In A Modern App
- An APIs.json Collection Of API Resources Across Your Public, Partner Or Internal Resources
- One Possible Reboot Of The API Stack
- How Are Dev Shops In Chicago Using APIs? A Talk With Bryson Pouw At Blaze Portfolio
- Every API Provider Should Have A Logo And Branding Page
- What Is An API First Strategy? IT architecture And Catalyst For Engagement
- The Speed Of Federal Government When It Runs On Github
- Swagger, APIs.json, And Review For The New Developer.Trade.gov
- Student, Instructor, Classroom, Class, And Course API Planning At BYU
- Can You Add My API To Your Website Listing?
- Adding Google To List Of API Deployment Companies
- What Is An API First Strategy? Adding Some Dimensions To This New Question
- The Five Month Journey Toward A Stable APIs.json Discovery Format