Posted on 07-07-2014
I talk about this concept often, but couldn't find any definitive post on APIs opening up a company, organization, or agency to outside ideas. This is something I hear from startups, up to federal government agencies, and from well known business brands, such as Absolut Vodka.
Absolut was one of the keynotes at API Strategy & Practice in Amsterdam, this last march. Eva Sjokvist, from Absolut, walked us through the development of their Absolut Drinks Database API. An amazing story by itself, but one thing she said that stood out to me, which is an interestingly common by-product of the API lifecycle, was the process itself opened up the company, making it more receptive to outside ideas, and collaboration.
I hear this sentiment often from groups who are developing API programs at their companies, and you see shining examples, like from Edmunds.com with their internal API Summit, but rarely do I see a metric to measure API driven, cultural change. APIs don't just open up your company’s assets and resources for access by trusted partners, or potentially the public, establishing a sort of external R&D lab, it has the potential to open up a valuable feedback loop as well, bringing in new ideas that have the potential to change how a group sees the world--evolving internal culture.
The potential for opening up a company, bringing them closer to their partners and customers, or a government agency, opening up healthier dialogue with constituents, is the most important results of an API program—greater than any single application that will get built on an API.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate
- Which API Do I Need?
- The Expanding API Conference Landscape
- Ocotoparts Open Source Google Spreadsheet
- Andrew Nacin Of WordPress @APIStrat Chicago
- Push Button API Deployment With The Heroku Button
- WordPress Style API Modules For Government
- The Heroku HTTP API Design Guide
- What I Have Been Calling API Trends, Are Slowly Being Baked Into API Operations
- FDA Finding Their API Mojo With A New Drug Label API
- Adding PokitDok To Healthcare Research And The API Stack (Well They Did)
- Why I Am Continuing To Integrate Zapier In My Business Workflow
- Who Is Going To Build The Uber API Platform For The Sharing Economy?
- The API Focused Dev Shop
- Route SMS Messages To Google Spreadsheets Via Twilio API With TwilioSheet