Posted on 07-09-2014
An APIs.json file lives in the root of any domain, or subdomain, and provides references to a collection of API resources. The APIs.json is meant to be a lightweight framework, where someone can build a collection of APIs, give it a name, description, some tags, and the APIs collection points you where you need to go, to get more information about those APIs.
For each API, you can define a list of URLs, each with a defining “type”, letting you know what to expect when you visit the URL. Right now, most of those URLs are just for humans, pointing to the developer portal, document, and terms of service (TOS). We are adding other API url types, that API search engines like APIs.io can expose in their search interfaces, like code samples, and application gallery, to the next version of APIs.json.
These human API URL types provide a reference, that API search engines can use to guide human users who are searching for APIs. However, where the real power of APIs.json comes in, is when an API URL type references a machine readable source, like a Swagger definition, or an API Commons manifest. When it comes to API discovery, we need as many meaningful locations, that we can point human API consumers to, but also machine readable locations, that will help make API discovery much more rich, automated, and precise.
Imagine when I can do more than just search name, description, and tags, by keyword, much like APIs.io works currently. Imagine when you can specify that you only want APIs that are in the API Commons, and openly licensed. Imagine when I can search for APIs that allow me to use all my HTTP verbs, not just GET. Now, go even more in the future, when I can search for APIs who have a specific allowance in their terms of service, with a machine readable TOS type for APIs.json.
This is where I want to take APIs.json, and ultimately API discovery. Machine readable API definitions like API Blueprint, RAML, and Swagger are the very first API URL type that helps automate API discovery, and the API Commons manifest is the latest. My goal is to tackle terms of service, pricing, and other critical aspects of API integration, and push forward a machine readable definition, that can ultimately be baked into the API discovery process--in all API search engines.
What is important to me, is that the API URL types, in each APIs.json, remain independent, and only loosely coupled with the APIs.json format, using a simple label, and URL. I’m not directly invested in the evolution of each Swagger version, however I am with API Commons, and potentially other future APIs.json API URL type definitions. I want anyone to be able to step up and suggest API URL types for the APIs.json spec, making APIs.json URL types a community driven API discovery layer, for the API economy.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons
- Evolving How We Approach The API Lifecycle With APIMatic
- APIs Can Open Up Your Company To Outside Ideas
- APIs Are Often Just A Facade That Is Covering Up The Legacy View Of World
- A Mobile Developer Toolkit With The University Of Michigan APIs
- Kicking Off Image Manipulation API Work