Posted on 07-15-2014
Using 18F’s own description:
This document captures 18F's view of API best practices and standards. We aim to incorporate as many of them as possible into our work.
APIs, like other web applications, will vary greatly in implementation and design, depending on the situation and the problem the application is solving.
I like the mix of info that is delivered as well:
- High level design guidance that individual APIs interpret to meet their needs.
- Low level web practices that most modern HTTP APIs use.
To top it off, the API Standards is hosted on Github, in its own repository, and as Gray Brooks from 18F says:
"Want a formal API Standards for your agency to adopt? Fork ours, add your name to the top, and make it your own."
Simple guidance like this goes a long way in helping, sometimes even very experienced developers, understand the best practices when it comes to designing, simple, modern APIs—a world where consistency and simplicity goes a long way!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke
- Swagger Definition Driven Sandbox And Simulation Data Templates For APIs
- Swagger API Definition Mapper
- Moving Beyond Just The PDF With A Single Page Report (SPR)
- Join Me For APIDays Berlin And APIStrat Europe This April 24th-25th 2015
- A Market For API Developer Credits
- Where Do Developers Get Idea That APIs Should Never Go Away?
- The Context.io API And Thinking Out Of The Box When Crafting APIs