Posted on 07-15-2014
Using 18F’s own description:
This document captures 18F's view of API best practices and standards. We aim to incorporate as many of them as possible into our work.
APIs, like other web applications, will vary greatly in implementation and design, depending on the situation and the problem the application is solving.
I like the mix of info that is delivered as well:
- High level design guidance that individual APIs interpret to meet their needs.
- Low level web practices that most modern HTTP APIs use.
To top it off, the API Standards is hosted on Github, in its own repository, and as Gray Brooks from 18F says:
"Want a formal API Standards for your agency to adopt? Fork ours, add your name to the top, and make it your own."
Simple guidance like this goes a long way in helping, sometimes even very experienced developers, understand the best practices when it comes to designing, simple, modern APIs—a world where consistency and simplicity goes a long way!
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization
- Project Idea: Codenvy-Like Containerized Spreadsheets