Posted on 07-27-2014
I'm preparing for my hypermedia panel with Mike Amundsen (@mamund), Mike Kelly (@mikekelly85), Steve Klabnik (@steveklabnik), Kevin Swiber (@kevinswiber), Jørn Wildt (@JornWildt), and Markus Lanthaler (@MarkusLanthaler), at API Craft Detroit next week. I wanted to go into the panel with a snapshot, and at least a minimal understanding of each of the panelists. This is kind of an all-star panel of hypermedia experts, so I need to at least bump up my understanding of what they are contributing to the API space, and who they are, beyond what I know from my own interactions with these API leaders.
As I do with all of my research, I wanted to share my work with you, my reader. Next up is Kevin Swiber. Kevin is one of the architects behind leading API provider Apigee, and has a great deal of experiencing in designing enterprise grade web APIs, contributing his own Siren format, as well as a wealth of white papers, books, and being a part of the API Craft movement.
Here is the outline of my research into Kevin's work:
Open Source rebel. Enterprise survivor. Passionate technologist. Current projects: Siren Hypermedia Specification, Argo HTTP Server.
Title: Senior Product Architect & API Design Consultant
Mission: I like building things for APIs. Life is good.
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/kevinswiber
- Github - https://github.com/kevinswiber
- Stack Overflow - http://stackoverflow.com/users/119378/kevin-swiber
A hypermedia specification for representing entities.
- Definition - https://github.com/kevinswiber/siren
- API Design: Harnessing Hypermedia Types
- The Hypermedia Debate
- application/vnd.siren+json support for HalBuilder
Kevin produces some amazing content as part of is role at Apigee, and is responsible for many of the important conversations around APIs going on across the web, like API Craft forum, local meetups, and even this event in Detroit, by the same name.
- Confreaks - http://www.confreaks.com/presenters/1347-kevin-swiber
- Apigee - https://community.apigee.com/users/kevin-swiber
- API Design: Third Edition - http://apigee.com/about/api-best-practices/api-design-third-edition
- API-Craft - http://api-craft.org/
I'm not posting all of this information just so I can share my research, it is also because Kevin has a wealth of experience to contribute, and I want to better understand the role he plays, while also helping you understand along the way. While I learned a lot through this process, I will also use it as a reference for my panel at API Craft, and for other stories I write in the future.
I've already added Siren as a tools in my hypermedia API research. I could spend days going through this research, but I also have 2 ther hypermedia API experts to profile, so I'm going to move on to the others, and come back to my profile of Kevin in the future to continue my own hypermedia education.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Do You Know That Hypermedia Is A Better Solution For Discovery Than APIs.json?
- API Service Idea: API Via Excel From Within Corporate Email
- With Number Of APIs Continuing To Grow Account Automation Will Be Key
- History Of APIs: NOAA APIs Have Been RESTful For Over 20 Years
- Understanding More About The Web Communications Platform Respoke
- Swagger Definition Driven Sandbox And Simulation Data Templates For APIs
- Swagger API Definition Mapper
- Moving Beyond Just The PDF With A Single Page Report (SPR)
- Join Me For APIDays Berlin And APIStrat Europe This April 24th-25th 2015
- A Market For API Developer Credits