Posted on 07-27-2014
I’m looking through each of the worlds, of my hypermedia panelists, Mike Amundsen (@mamund), Mike Kelly (@mikekelly85), Steve Klabnik (@steveklabnik), Kevin Swiber (@kevinswiber), Jørn Wildt (@JornWildt), and Markus Lanthaler (@MarkusLanthaler), for API Craft tomorrow, reaquainting myself on what they bring to the hypermedia table, adding to my knowledge, and hopefully sharing some of the findings with you.
As I look through each of the hypermedia definitions, developed by my panelists, I keep feeling, that as API providers, there is still a lot of education that has to occur, to not just helping us better communicate with APIs, but also be more skilled at sharing and interacting around the resources we are making available via APIs.
When I think about the state of APIs, i see that we are barely using our words in our communication using APIs, what we say, and how we are saying it with our APIs, is still very crude, and unstructured. I feel like we are just toddlers, learning to use our words, sentences and playing nicely together. With the rich formats available to us, I feel that in 2014, I think we have to collectively get our butts to hypermeida school, and get educated—a lot of the work has been done for, we just need to get up to speed.
I see a handful of API providers employing hypermedia in their designs, but they are still few and far between.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems