Posted on 08-10-2014
I’m seeing an increase in the number of API deployment services this year, such as startups like StrongLoop and API Spark. These companies are looking to help all of us deploy APIs from common systems, often without the need for IT or programming resources.
The providers I’m seeing emerge are catering to some of the lowest hanging fruit for deploying APIs. The commonly used, and easiest to access systems, that contain the valuable content, data, and media we need to make accessible via APIs.
The common source for many of these API deploy solutions are:
These common information sources, represent the places where the average person in any size company, organization or government agency will be storing their valuable resources. It makes sense that this new wave of API deployment startups would target these services.
If you consider every system integration option that classic API gateways have delivered, it provides a good reference for finding opportunities for building independent API deployment solutions, that if done right, could be a startup all by itself.
Not all companies can afford a full API gateway solution, and their needs are too small for a gateway. There is an emerging opportunity to help people quickly deploy APIs from common sources like spreadsheet, database, file stores, as well as more unique sources like specialty CMS and CRM systems.
Sometimes I like to look at the expanding API universe as a result of the SOA big bang, where all the tools that were in your SOA toolbox, being liberated, and available as independent services that you can get from an increasing number of new API deployment startups.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems