Posted on 08-14-2014
I spoke with Phil Windley (@windley) over at Brigham Young University (BYU) about their API strategy this morning. BYU is bringing together API providers and consumers, to establish a coordinated strategy for delivering designing, deploying, managing, and integrating with APIs across campus--an effort being led by CIO Kelly Flannagan (@kelflanagan).
As part of their latest API effort, BYU is focusing in on the lowest hanging fruit when it comes to campus resources:
The API team is still struggling with a handful of technical details like how to deal with unique identifiers, and relationship between resources, but overall they are on a healthy path when it comes to getting their API designed, and deployed for use at the institution. I’m interested in seeing how fast they progress with a top down approach to APIs, vs the bottom up efforts I’m seeing at institutions like UC Berkeley.
I will be talking their team regularly, about their design, deployment, management, and integration strategy. I want to make sure and document the process all along the way, and share real-time updates that other universities can follow along, or possibly collaborate with us when it comes to establishing some common API patterns we can share and re-use across higher educational institutions.
Look for any stories out of BYU, here on API Evangelist, or over at my university API research site, and if you are doing any API work at your school, I'd love to know more about it.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- I Find It Interesting That Wordnik Created The API Definition Format Swagger
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down