Posted on 08-14-2014
I’m coordinating with the development team for Developer.Trade.Gov today, providing them with a review of their new developer area, and some suggestions on how to make their APIs, and developer more usable.
The Developer.Trade.Gov is published as a Github repository, using Jekyll and Github Pages to actually deliver the website. The feedback I’ve been giving to the team, has been done through the Github issue management for the repository.
One piece of feedback I left was:
I love that when I land on your home page, I get a brief description of what developer.trade.gov delivers, the probem is that the description is below the fold on some monitors, leaving just the 3 links available to see.
I'd switch the description and links, putting description at the top....and the first thing your eyes are drawn to. You'd be surprised how valuable this can be. Simple, but important.
I submitted the suggestion 5 hours ago, and I just received an update that the issue was closed, and my suggestions were incorporated. When you go to the Developer.Trade.Gov website now, you will see the text, with links to the right—creating a much more clean, informative, and usable way to deliver the most valuable real estate you have in your developer hub. It was a small, but quick and meaningful change to a government website.
Imagine if we could help other agencies see the benefit of publishing small, simple websites, developer hubs, single page apps, and other projects to Github, and manage their feedback loops via Github issues. What types of improvements in delivering government services would we see? What cost savings could be realized across government?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems
- APIs That Do One Thing And Do It Well Like ZipLocate