Posted on 08-14-2014
I’m coordinating with the development team for Developer.Trade.Gov today, providing them with a review of their new developer area, and some suggestions on how to make their APIs, and developer more usable.
The Developer.Trade.Gov is published as a Github repository, using Jekyll and Github Pages to actually deliver the website. The feedback I’ve been giving to the team, has been done through the Github issue management for the repository.
One piece of feedback I left was:
I love that when I land on your home page, I get a brief description of what developer.trade.gov delivers, the probem is that the description is below the fold on some monitors, leaving just the 3 links available to see.
I'd switch the description and links, putting description at the top....and the first thing your eyes are drawn to. You'd be surprised how valuable this can be. Simple, but important.
I submitted the suggestion 5 hours ago, and I just received an update that the issue was closed, and my suggestions were incorporated. When you go to the Developer.Trade.Gov website now, you will see the text, with links to the right—creating a much more clean, informative, and usable way to deliver the most valuable real estate you have in your developer hub. It was a small, but quick and meaningful change to a government website.
Imagine if we could help other agencies see the benefit of publishing small, simple websites, developer hubs, single page apps, and other projects to Github, and manage their feedback loops via Github issues. What types of improvements in delivering government services would we see? What cost savings could be realized across government?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Is Your API More Than Just A Footnote On Your Website?
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization