Posted on 08-14-2014
I’m coordinating with the development team for Developer.Trade.Gov today, providing them with a review of their new developer area, and some suggestions on how to make their APIs, and developer more usable.
The Developer.Trade.Gov is published as a Github repository, using Jekyll and Github Pages to actually deliver the website. The feedback I’ve been giving to the team, has been done through the Github issue management for the repository.
One piece of feedback I left was:
I love that when I land on your home page, I get a brief description of what developer.trade.gov delivers, the probem is that the description is below the fold on some monitors, leaving just the 3 links available to see.
I'd switch the description and links, putting description at the top....and the first thing your eyes are drawn to. You'd be surprised how valuable this can be. Simple, but important.
I submitted the suggestion 5 hours ago, and I just received an update that the issue was closed, and my suggestions were incorporated. When you go to the Developer.Trade.Gov website now, you will see the text, with links to the right—creating a much more clean, informative, and usable way to deliver the most valuable real estate you have in your developer hub. It was a small, but quick and meaningful change to a government website.
Imagine if we could help other agencies see the benefit of publishing small, simple websites, developer hubs, single page apps, and other projects to Github, and manage their feedback loops via Github issues. What types of improvements in delivering government services would we see? What cost savings could be realized across government?
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Maybe I Am Missing Something, But Where Is Your Pricing Page?
- I Find It Interesting That Wordnik Created The API Definition Format Swagger
- Autogenerate Runscope-powered API SDKs Using APIMatic
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week