Posted on 08-23-2014
The new Heroku Button gets us one step closer to a new age of API deployment, where anyone can deploy the APIs they need without any developer or IT resources. As I’m working on packaging up API designs for my screen capture API, and image manipulation API, this type of approach is what I’m envisioning for all of my APIs in the future—push button API deployment.
You shouldn't have to wait to deploy the API you need. Just as we are beginning to deploy pre-packaged application stacks like Wordpress, and Drupal, we should be able to deploy common API deployments for images, blogs, videos, and much, much more, with a single click of a button. Once any new API is launched it can be configured, and connected to other systems using the API, allowing it to operate as part of larger stack, or stay as completely independent node that just checks in with the mother ship from time to time.
While there will remain a handful of API leaders like Twilio and SendGrid who will have a big presence, many of the APIs in this next wave of API deployment will be smaller, and more transient in nature, taking advantage of current cloud trends around PaaS, and containerization. This new type of APis will possess a self contained blueprint for the OS, database, server-side code, API definition, and even configuration, integration, and automation tooling for the API.
I’m working on Docker definitions for creen capture andimage manipulation AP, as well as other APIs I develop in the future, but first I think any API I deisn shouldl run as a Heroku app, that anyone can deploy in their own account with a single click of a button. It won't take much work to make this happen for any API I deploy, and since 3Scale API infrastructure, which I use to secure my APIs, already runs on Heroku--making securing, and managing my Heroku deployed APis seamless.
Disclosure: 3Scale is an API Evangelist partner.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- There Are Four API Design Editors To Choose From Now
- Sales, Onboarding And Support In A Self-Service API World
- An API For Developers To Access Their API Account Information
- My Continued Support As Signer Of Oracle v Google Amicus Brief From EFF
- Join Me Tomorrow For A Panel Discussion On API Ecosystems At SF MusicTech
- I Will Review Your API On API Evangelist if You Add An APIs.json File Plus A Machine Readable API Definition
- Hey, Why Isn't This (API) Free
- Resource Base API Monetization vs. Experience Based API Monetization
- Tracking On The Red Flags For API Monetization
- Project Idea: Codenvy-Like Containerized Spreadsheets