My name is Kin Lane and I am a technology professional with an obsession for Application Programming Interfaces, also affectionately known as APIs.
I've been working in the technology space for over 20 years. I remember building my own relational databases, and generating stacks of floppy disks to distribute software to clients. After spending much of my career online, I strongly believe in the openness and distributed nature of the Internet, and that the World Wide Web will be the vehicle that drives the world into the future.
I have lived as a programmer, database administrator, architect, product developer, manager and executive and have experience in business development, sales and marketing--all while living with chronic entrepreneurialism. In this decade I've rolled all that experience into a new persona, one that focuses exclusively on APIs--called the API Evangelist.
I spend my days studying the business and politics of APIs, then telling stories of what I see across the space. I thrive on monitoring the API industry in real-time, but also feel looking back at the history, while also keeping an eye on the future by tracking on new trends that I see emerging.
I'm a full time evangelist, not for a single API, but for APIs in general. My focus is not just on developers, but helping the rest of the world understand the value and potential of APIs. It is important that EVERYONE understands that APIs exist, even if they don't ever grasp the full details of the API economy.
I spend my days researching the world of APIs, publishing what I can to an array of 50+ Github repositories, each with their own website doorway using Github pages. Since the API Evangelist network is an ongoing research project, things are always changing, come back often, and subscribe to feeds. I have created the following clickable metro maps to help you, and me find the various stops on my realtime research of the API economy.
In addition to these core areas of the API economy, I'm researching other areas I simply call opportunities and priorities:
All of these projects are ongoing research and will be updated when I have time. I'm a one man show, so sometimes, depending on my travel and speaking schedule I get behind with udpates. If there is any new area you think I should be researching, or additions to a specific project, let me know.
You can follow my work on my primary blogs:.
Where I Blog:
Or via my social networks:
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions
- You Can Have An API Just By Choosing Products And Services That Have APIs
- Using Excel As An API Datasource And An API Client For The Masses
- Brewing Up Something Awesome With The Jive Software API
- Relationship Between APIs And Containers
- Real-time and Visualizations Will Be Key in Financial API Deployments
- Notification Focused Startups Within Leading API Ecosystems