Programmable Web: 3000 APIs and Growing
08 Mar 2011
Congratulations to ProgrammableWeb for hitting the 3000th API
in their directory.
The ProgrammableWeb API directory
has seen some amazing growth:
- 1,000 APIs: over 3 years
- 2,000 APIs: less than 2 years
- 3,000 APIs: about 9 months
Three other noteworthy trends, the ProgrammableWeb team notices:
- API as a Company - More companies launching just as API.
- REST and JSON - Simplification of APIs through REST and JSON.
- Internal Usage - More companies consuming their own APIs.
Some might say the recent explosive growth is part of a "bubble", but if you look at the numbers its been a long 11 year road since Salesforce first launch their API in February of 2000
This is just the beginning of the coming global API economy