Posted on 01-17-2013
I just posted a story on how I like the Guardian’s approach to data journalism, and spending time evolving on last nights thoughts about the possibilities of Markup APIs.
As I’m migrating much of the front-end of my websites to run on a home brew of Github Pages, Jekyll and JSON fueled Mustache Templates, I am seeing more of the potential of not just Markup APIs, but Markdown APIs that will run in a purely client side environment.
An example would be, that when I wanted the 2010 population for New York City, I could just write [population|New York|NY|US|2010], or something like that and would print out the actual population for that year in NYC, with a link to the source. Each time I used a markdown API it would add some sort of attribution to the source at the bottom of document.
Seems like we’d establish trusted, centralized sources of information, allowing anyone (even non-developers) to put open data and APIs to use via easy to implement markup or markdown APIs.
Think of the potential if facts around the web actually had the backing of trusted sources, and were able to be embedded anywhere on the web, via apps or digital documents.
It would be fun to create a markup and markdown API for API Evangelist, with a dictionary of terms, facts and other data that were relevant to the API industry.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- I Find It Interesting That Wordnik Created The API Definition Format Swagger
- Autogenerate Runscope-powered API SDKs Using APIMatic
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey