Posted on 05-07-2013
When it comes to the Internet of Things, APIs have a bright future. I tend to focus on the greater good when showcasing APIs, but occasionally I get tripped up by the market potential of APIs. I came across the Baby Toys Get an App Extension post in the New York Times this week, and I can't think of a more lucrative market for API interaction via a smart phone, than a baby or toddler's toys.
First, can you image every mom or dad in America with access to their kids toys via their iPhone. Talk about an emotional connection. You have a real-time chord that is attached to a parents heart string. So if you are at work, missing your child that is at home, in day care, or even when you are at home with them, you have the opportunity to interact with your child via their crib, playstation or other toy? I'm not even going to start profiling the toys and the opportunity here.
Second, can you imagine the data available for toy, clothing and other manufacturers? You have a daily, permanent connection between a parent and their child via the toys that are most important to a child each day, and by default, what is important to the parent. With API connectivity between this toy and a parents smart phone via the home wifi connection, there is an unlimited flow of data about what impacts a child's life, and their parents world each day.
Lots to think about with APIs and the Internet of Things.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Where Do We Start With APIs At The University of Oklahoma?
- What I Would Look For When Hiring a Modern API Developer?
- The U.S. International Trade Commission Includes APIs In Latest Report
- Thank You @3Scale For Investing In The Community With @APIStrat
- Introducing API.Report, A Community API News Site
- Extract Knowledge From Audio And Video Using The Clarify API
- My API 101 Workshop At @APIStrat In Chicago Next Week
- Some Advice For The Enterprise When Beginning Your API Journey
- Machine Readable API Definition Format Swagger Matures to 2.0
- How Do We Continue Moving Green Button Data And APIs Forward?
- Beyond Public APIs In Government: Internal Access to Resources
- Can You Show Me The ROI On All Of This API Stuff Before We Commit
- In The Future APIs Will Be Default For All Cities
- No Public APIs Are Not Going Away Just Cause A Few BigCos Fumble At It
- Internal API Search Engine For Everyone At Your Company (Not Just Developers)
- If You Need Assistance With Your Healthcare API Strategy I Have The Person
- Explaining APIs To Senior Leadership: Access To Company Resources Without The IT Hassle
- A Conversation With @ijroth, @dorkitude, @antonyfalco, and @medjawii In The Next Generation API Stack Panel @APIStrat
- API Evangelist Thoughts On The Right To An API Key And Algorithmic Organizing
- Explaining APIs To Your Senior Leadership
- An API Evangelism Strategy To Map The Global Family Tree
- Thank You For Your API Evangelist Blog(s)
- Video From The Hypermedia Panel At API-Craft In Detroit Last Month
- Please Open Source Your API Before Shutting It Down
- Explaining My Work Around APIs In Higher Education To Institutions