Posted on 07-02-2013
I have written about the well publicized failure of the Netflix public API before, and how in the API space things are often not what they seem. By my measurement Netflix is a massive API success story, it is just not the classsic open API success story we all really want to be true.
In the end the experiment that was the Netflix API didn't pan out, but that is ok. Netflix has found success with APIs internally, something I think will be the case with the majority of companies embarking on an API odyssey. And with Netflix continuing to tell the story of their successes and failures, everyone can learn from their hard work.
As I continue to follow the Netflix API story, I'm seeing new narrative emerge, one that is equally about open source software, than about open APIs. When I do my monitoring I am constantly seeing new blog posts coming from the Netflix tech blog, announcing the latest OSS release from the Netflix tech team.
Netflix is up to 34 public repositories currently, and before you dig into the details of their releases, Netflix also wins in the presentation of their Github open source site. Nice job!!
I wish someone would dive deeper into everything Netflix is releasing. At first glance it looks like like everything I have been asking for when it comes to open source software for the API management space. Netflix isn't in the space of offering API management as a service, but they run one of the biggest API platforms out there--resulting in some serious skills, experience and technology.
If I had more time I'd go through the Netflix Open Source Center and see how it all applies to the larger API picture. As with the rest of the Netflix story, I'm sure there are some great lessons in what they are producing.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons