Posted on 08-25-2013
I've been doing API Evangelist for three years now, a world where selling APIs to existing companies outside of Silicon Valley, and often venture capital firms is a serious challenge. While APis have been around for a while in many different forms, this new, more open and collaborative approach to APis seems very foreign, new and scary for some companies and investors--resulting in them often very resistant to it.
As part of my storytelling process, I'm always looking for ways to dovetail API tools and services into existing business needs and operations, making them much more palatable to companies across many business sectors. Once part of the API space I'm just getting a handle on is the area API integration, which includes testing, monitoring, debugging, scheduling, authentication and other key challenges developers face when building applications that depend on APIs.
I was having a great conversation with Roger Guess of TheRightAPI the other day, which I try to do regularly. We are always brainstorming ideas on where the space is going and the best way to tell stories around API integration, that will resonate with existing companies. Roger was talking about the success they are finding dovetailing their testing, monitoring and other web API integration services with a company's existing QA process--something that I can see will resonate with many companies.
Hopefully your company already has a full developed QA cycle for your development team(s), including, but not limited to, automated, unit and regression testing--something where API tests, monitoring, scheduling and other emerging API integration building blocks will fit in nicely. This new breed of APi integration tools don't have to be some entirely new approach to development, chances are you are already using APIs in your development and API testing and monitoring can just be added to your existing QA toolbox.
I will spend more time looking for stories that help relate some of these new approaches to your existing QA processes, hopefully finding news ways you can put tools and services like TheRightAPI to use, helping you better manage the API integration aspect of your web and mobile application development.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Getting Labeled A Hater On The Hypermedia Panel At API Craft
- My Discussion Today With 6 Hypermedia Leaders At API-Craft in Detroit
- Getting To Know Jørn Wildt For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Hypermedia Feels Like We Are Still Learning To Communicate With APIs
- Getting To Know Markus Lanthaler For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Kevin Swiber For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- Getting To Know Steve Klabnik For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- New Indix API KickStart Program Reduces Costs For Developers
- Getting To Know Mike Kelly For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- A Shared, Distributed Experience(Metrics) Layer For The API Driven Application Stack
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18F's, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy