Posted on 01-07-2014
After watching the API space evolve, I've learned one thing, that there are lots of factors that influence the industry, and that the best solution doesn't always win.
As I'm studying the rise of Internet enabled devices, also known as Internet of Things (IoT), you see some devices embrace a RESTful approach to integration with their devices, but often times you see APIs released, but they are wrapped with SDKs.
I'm not making any assumption that SDKs or REST is better when it comes to IoT devices, technically an SDK may or may not provide a stronger solution. However within this approach I think it is easy to pave over the API, making it an after thought--stifling potential innovation that can occur around open endpoints.
When it comes to developing APIs for IoT I don't think engineers are consciously pushing out REST and web APIs, I think they stick with what they know. Without proper education around the larger potential of APIs + SDK, vs SDK only, engineers with go the path of least resistance, and the one they are familiar with.
As the space expands, we need to make sure there are sufficient stories available for IoT engineers to discover, making them aware of the potential of keeping their APIs front and center when integrating their devices to the Internet.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Showcasing Your API Integrations With Other Platforms
- Increasing The Focus On APIs In Higher Education Is Important
- Getting To Know Mike Amundsen For The API Craft 2014 Detroit Hypermedia Panel
- The New StrongLoop API Server Provides A Look At Future Of API Deployment
- Models For API Driven Startups Built Around Public Data
- Will You Add Me To API Evangelist And How To Spot The Cool Kids
- When I Remix APIs Using Swagger How Do I Deal With Authentication Across Multiple APIs
- It Takes A Team Of Evangelists To Raise An API
- Support For Only Two Creative Commons Licenses In The API Commons
- Machine Readable Terms of Service Didn't Read Applied To APIs Via APIs.json
- API Deployment For Non-Developers Using Zapier, Google Docs, and APISpark
- State of Hypermedia Today @ API Craft In Detroit
- Need A Formal API Standard For Your Government Agency? Fork 18Fs, And Make It Your Own!
- CORS Makes Your API Portable And Remix-able
- Chief Data Officer Needs To Make The Department Of Commerce Developer Portal The Center Of API Economy
- An API Definition As The Truth In The API Contract
- Look At Existing APIs In The Space Before Designing Your Own
- Libraries Hacked: UK Library API, Data And Technology Hacks
- Financial Data Aggregator Yodlee Looking For A Director of Developer Evangelism
- AutoDevBot Open Sources Their API Monitor
- Low Hanging Fruit For API Discovery In The Federal Government
- Looking At 77 Federal Government API Developer Portals And 190 APIs
- Applying APIs.json To API Discovery In The Federal Government
- The Power In API Discovery For APIs.json Will Be In The API URL Type
- Fixing The Machine Readability in API Commons