Posted on 01-07-2014
After watching the API space evolve, I've learned one thing, that there are lots of factors that influence the industry, and that the best solution doesn't always win.
As I'm studying the rise of Internet enabled devices, also known as Internet of Things (IoT), you see some devices embrace a RESTful approach to integration with their devices, but often times you see APIs released, but they are wrapped with SDKs.
I'm not making any assumption that SDKs or REST is better when it comes to IoT devices, technically an SDK may or may not provide a stronger solution. However within this approach I think it is easy to pave over the API, making it an after thought--stifling potential innovation that can occur around open endpoints.
When it comes to developing APIs for IoT I don't think engineers are consciously pushing out REST and web APIs, I think they stick with what they know. Without proper education around the larger potential of APIs + SDK, vs SDK only, engineers with go the path of least resistance, and the one they are familiar with.
As the space expands, we need to make sure there are sufficient stories available for IoT engineers to discover, making them aware of the potential of keeping their APIs front and center when integrating their devices to the Internet.
comments powered by Disqus
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- The New Github Developer Program and Integrations Page
- I Have A Valuable API Resource, What Now?
- A Better Understanding Of Government APIs And Their Consumers Before Considering Charging For Use
- So You Wanna Do a Spreadsheet or Database To API Startup
- Jumpstarting the Automobile API Conversation With Carvoyant
- Some Of The Common Building Blocks of Payment APIs
- API Badging and Credentialing To Demonstrate Skills
- Finding Good API Developer Talent Is Hard
- Common Building Blocks Of API Design
- APIs Coming Out Of The Netherlands